Monday, May 4, 2009

Rubio's Fish Tacos




The Location: Rubio's on Truxel Rd

The Taco: Carnitas Rajas Taco plate

The Price: About $7

The Verdict: Normally I wouldn't review a chain store here, other than to add the occasional rant, but my co-blogger argued that a taco is a taco, and that they all deserve a fair shot at fame. So, just in case you can't quite decide whether or not to patronize your local mall taco stand, here goes.

This taco was overflowing with ingredients with a good portion of carnitas, grilled peppers, onions, lettuce as well as some cheese and taco sauce thrown in to the mix. While I'd usually expect to find the peppers & grilled onions on a fajita or a burrito rather than a taco, they were still a welcome ingredient. The onions were sweet and not overpowering, but the peppers were a little soggy. The carnitas were moist and flavorful and exceeded my expectations. The tacos were a little overwhelmed with lettuce which adds nothing to the flavor and is probably there just for looks. Also, I must add that the cotija cheese is not one of my favorites, but that is more personal preference than anything else.

Overall, this taco scores points for flavor but I subtracted a half-star for over-abundance of filler (lettuce). If I found myself stranded in a mall I would be willing to order this again.

The Rating: ★★★ (out of 5)

Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment